Set back from the road opposite the well by School Bridge at the northern end of Tatenhill village is a row of 3 terraced cottages. These Cottages have been there at least since 1837 (according to an old tithe map) During WWII they were used as billeting for RAF officers stationed at Tatenhill Airfield. Since 1965 they have been entrusted as a charity “Brookside Cottage Homes” by Thomas Shelly of Church House, Tatenhill. There are 2 Almshouse cottages and a 3rd cottage (Park Cottage) is let on the open market to subsidise the 2 almshouses. The almshouses are offered upon special appointment to those persons of good character over the age of 60 residing in the parishes of, Tatenhill ( including Callingwood but not Rangemore), Dunstall, Anslow and Branston or with strong family connections to these areas.
The trust has Charity status and is governed by 7 trustees ( 6 of whom reside in Tatenhill & the vicar, Revd. Andrew Ridley). The clerk of the Trust is Mr David Pointer.